Saturday, August 16, 2008

Devotional: Pure and Simple

“Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint”

Isaiah 40:31



“But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ”
2 Corinthians 11: 3



What a great reminder we have in 2 Corinthians. Don’t let anything distract you from “sincere and pure devotion to Christ”. This is one of Satan’s greatest tools…to distract us, even with good “church” activities, so that we don’t focus on our own personal relationship with Christ. I know this is one area of huge weakness for me. I can get so involved in different projects, and my to-do list gets so long that I have less and less time for sitting at my Father’s feet and quieting myself before Him.

As we plunge into this GREAT work of planting a church, our responsibilities have definitely increased. We are stretching ourselves more. Because of this there is an even deeper need to “wait upon the Lord” and ensure we are spending time just being still before Him. As we spend time with our Father, He will guide us and give us direction for the church. “God is a God of relationship. He is a Father who is passionately in love with His family and He prioritizes love over labour.” (Dutch Sheets, Intercessory Prayer)

It is out of this sincere and devoted time spent with God that we are prepared for the work ahead of us. AND what a great promise there is for those who wait upon the Lord….

We WILL gain new strength
We WILL soar like eagles
We WILL run and walk without getting tired or weary



Prayer Items:



  • Lord, help me to make my time with you a priority. Help me to quiet my thoughts so I can hear your still, small voice whispering to me.


  • Lord, forgive me for being so easily distracted from being still before you. Protect my mind from wandering thoughts


  • In Jesus name, I come against Satan and his desire to distract us from our devotion to you.


  • Father, may you be quick to show us areas and commitments that are just meant to keep us busy and distracted.


  • Lord, I pray that you would give us the strength and wisdom to protect our time with you


  • Lord I pray that we would feel a strong, outpouring of you power and guidance as we spend time with you.

No comments: